Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Protein Packed Spring Rolls

Lately I have been struggling to find food to take with me to work. For my job I am out of the office for almost the entire day. This means that I have no access to a microwave or refrigerator. I also eat most of my "meals" (more like healthy filling fast snacks) in the car. Because of all of these factors I have been seeking "cold lunches" that are fast, filling, don't really require a fork and spoon, and of course are healthy and preferably gluten free. After a few weeks of trial and error I think I have found the perfect go-to cold lunch that meets all of the criteria above. Drum roll please......SPRING ROLLS!

Now, you might be thinking, Rach, spring rolls? Hold on, let me explain. They don't need to be heated, they can be eaten with little mess, they are filling, the wrapper is rice, and possibly the best part...they can take on any flavor your little heart desires!

(These are the kind I used and I stored them in a zip Lock bag after opening)

Just think about it. The rice paper is flavorless and you can create any filling you want. I made 2 types, one with smashed baked potatoes, ground beef and salsa and the other is a protein packed healthy little roll with veggies and more!






Recipe
Quinoa (Be sure to rinse it before cooking) 1 cup dry
Brown Rice-1 cup dry
1 can White beans, rinsed and drained (great northern beans-any will work)
1 Large Sweet Potato
Rice Spring Roll Wrappers
1 Handful of fresh parsley chopped
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Sea Salt and Black Pepper
Splash of Rice wine Vinegar
A swirl of Olive Oil (about 1 Tbs)
Chopped peanuts
Red Pepper Flakes(Optional-I add it to almost everything)
3 or so Tbs hemp protein powder (optional)



Directions
Cook both your quinoa and rice to package directions. Also, chop up your sweet potato into little pieces and cook until it is cooked through but still firm and hold's it's shape.
In a large mixing bowl add in all filling ingredients. Mix in the rice, quinoa, sweet potato and all other ingedients until evenly incorporated. Make an assembly line: Rice wrappers, then your water (for wetting the rice wrappers- I used a pie plate), a place to put the dampened paper (I used a cutting board), next is the filling with a large spoon and lastly, a plate to put them on after they are wrapped (I recommend a little spray of olive oil to keep them from sticking to the plate and tearing.)

First take 1 rice wrapper and dip it into the water so it is all covered. After 2-3 seconds remove it and place it on your work station. using a large spoon take a spoonful of your filling and place it near the bottom of your wrapper about an inch and a half from the edge. Fold your spring roll at both sides so they meet, then fold up the bottom over your mixture and roll it up! This seems harder than it actually is-my package of rice wrappers had a picture on the back demonstrating this.

Repeat until you have enough spring rolls! I ended up making 12 and had some filling left over for a snack. When storing mine I rubbed a little olive oil on the outsides to keep them from sticking to the container and to each other. Also, store in an airtight container to keep the rice wrappers from drying out and getting a little tough.

Optional additions and alternatives:
1. Swap the parsley for fresh mint
2. For a more Mediterranean style try adding chopped kalamata olives, tomatoes, and feta cheese
3. For a Mexican take, maybe try some taco seasoning (try making your own!) Ground beef, some fresh cilantro, salsa and a little shredded cheese.
4. Fill with potatoes, ground beef and salsa (this one is better warmed up)


So that's it. I ended up with a full week's worth of lunches plus a few snacks and it didn't take too long to prepare. What is your favorite spring roll recipe or cold lunch idea?

Until next time,

Rachael











No comments:

Post a Comment