Saturday, June 4, 2016

How to Look Like a Pro When Packing Food for Air Travel: TSA Approved Snacks

I can't count the times I have gone through airport security on my 2 hands...plus both feet. Or the amount of time I have spent standing in a security line, or how many times I have seen people get stopped and have to dump out all of the snacks, drinks, shampoo bottles, etc. that they perfectly planned and packed just for their trip...all into the trash. A bit of knowledge I wish I'd had early on are some TSA approved snacks and drinks.

Airport and plane food have quite a few disadvantages. To name a few, it's not usually healthy, not always reliable, not allergy friendly and  it is EXPENSIVE! In this post I will share my top 4 secrets that will help you pack like a pro and get your healthy snacks all the way to your destination (if you don't eat them all, first).


#1.   3 ounces ONLY

While many people DO know this, there are still those out there who don't (I've seen you), you may only carry 3 ounces of each type of approved liquid through security and onto a plane. No drinks. No creams. No Gels. No applesauce. I usually don't even try to bring any because it seems like the line between ok and not ok is pretty thin.

#2. Empty bottles are safe to fly
But what many people DON'T know or think about, is that you CAN bring an empty water bottle with you (because they don't fill up your drinks often enough on the plane and spending $6 on a 12 oz bottle of water is a little unreasonable). On my last trip, to Italy (a very long flight), I had my water bottle, my thermos and my snacks. I drank my water and tea until we got to the drop off, then dumped it on the curb and tossed the empty bottles into my carry on.  After we got through security I found a drinking fountain to fill up my water (for free!) and sometimes a Starbucks or the similar will give you hot water for free (just make sure you tip). I even bring my tea bags separately, neatly packed into a snack size zip lock and when I get hot water, it's nice and fresh. Some great ones to have for travel are green tea with lemon (to keep you alert and boost immunity) and ginger tea (in case you tend to have some tummy troubles the ginger will help sooth it.) Another thing I have tried, and I may have gotten lucky, so be careful. I've squeezed a little fresh lemon into my empty thermos and had just about a table spoon in it when it went through security. That way I would have fresh lemon for my tea and not have to fuss with how to get it there.

#3. Just about any food will make it through the line
As mentioned above, no applesauce or the like. Another tip that many people don't seem to know is that you CAN bring food with you through security. That being said, almost any solid or dry food will make it through the line. I have made bags of dried apples (I went a little crazy with a dehydrator), I have packed sandwiches, dry cereal in a baggie, granola and protein bars- they all fly safe.
My go to is usually dried apples and other dried fruit. Not only is it healthy and not a liquid, but it is light as a feather-which is a great plus for those of us who often get a little close on the baggage weight limits. ;) TIP: Another thing to remember is that most ice packs are gel so you might want to leave them at home. If you do decide to bring things that are better eaten cool I would suggest keeping them in the fridge until the minute you walk out the door and if possible, keep them in an insulated bag. This will keep it cool enough for a few hours until you get through security to eat it.

#4 follow state and country rules
Most of the time this won't be an issue, just remember that a few states(Hawaii) and many foreign countries have rules about taking food  out of their territories. I have mostly seen this with fresh produce. There are agriculture rules and such as well as concerns about cross contaminating bugs and what not. Unfortunately you probably won't get through security with your fresh pineapple but the dried stuff is good to fly.  Just make sure you check the specific rules for your location before you head to the airport.




 As always, thanks for reading and safe travels!

Rachael

PART 2 COMING SOON!!  I talk about how I keep my food organized as well as how to pack toiletries so you don't get sunscreen all over the inside of your suitcase (true story!).




No comments:

Post a Comment