Monday, June 6, 2016

DIY Mouthwash Recipe

A year or so ago I decided that I wanted an all natural mouthwash to go with my natural toothpaste. I started searching for recipes and after learning more about the benefits of essential oils I formed my own blend along with a few other natural ingredients for a healthy mouth. After trial and error I have settled on my go to DIY mouthwash recipe. This recipe is easy to make and very affordable. This specific blend of essential oils really leaves my mouth feeling clean and fresh. I can really tell that it is working without the harsh burning of alcohol found in conventional mouthwashes. I feel confident knowing that this recipe is safe and natural and contains no artificial dyes, flavors, chemicals or preservatives. Here's the recipe!

Recipe
12-15 ounces filtered water
1 tsp baking soda
1 drop of honey
5 drops Peppermint essential oil
2-3 drops tea tree essential oil
2-3 drops rosemary essential oil
2-3 drops grapefruit essential oil 



Directions
For my container I chose a recycled mouthwash bottle. Using a funnel I added the baking soda first, then I took the funnel off and added the honey and essential oils (I chose not to use the funnel for these because I didn't want any of it getting stuck to the inside and not making it into the bottle). Next I replaced the funnel and poured in my water until it was about an inch or so from the top of the bottle (not including the narrow part it pours out of).

Use: Make sure to give it a good shake before each use, swish for a few seconds and spit. As with all mouthwashes, be careful not to swallow.
If you tend to be sensitive to essential oils use less of each and make sure you dilute it with plenty of water.

Tip: Be extra careful when adding your oils. Sometimes it starts to drip out slowly then all of the sudden it drips fast so be extra careful to ensure you don't put too much in.

Substitutions: I have substituted lemon essential oil for grapefruit and it was ok, but I preferred the grapefruit much better. I have also substituted the honey for organic agave and yes, just 1 drop is enough!

Note: Always be careful when using essential oils. Be sure to use a high quality essential oil,  100% pure therapeutic grade and always properly dilute and follow all safety measures.


I hope you will give this easy recipe a try and add a natural mouthwash to your healthy lifestyle routine, and as always, thanks for reading!
Rachael



No comments:

Post a Comment