Monday, July 18, 2016

Protein Packed Rice with Chicken, Spinach and Black Beans

When it comes to eating gluten free there are a few go-to items when creating meals, mine are usually potatoes and rice. I frequently find myself cooking before I write a recipe. I even find myself not knowing what I am cooking until after it's already happened. But when I do start to make a meal my first decision is rice or potatoes. Tonight, it was rice. So here is my simple, any night all in one rice with chicken, spinach and black beans.

Recipe
1 cup Brown Rice (will serve up to 4 but we like leftovers)
2 Chicken Breasts (or 1 per person)
1 Brick of Spinach or  about 2 cups fresh
1/2-1 Tbs Cardamom seed-ground 
1/2 tsp Turmeric (I always add it to rice) 
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
Splash of Ume Plum Vinegar (Optional) 

Directions
1. Start your rice in a large saucepan. The directions for mine said 1 Cup of rice and 2 Cups of water. I almost always end up using 3 cups of water though. I start with 2 and 1/2 and keep a cup close by during the process, so use as much as you need to keep your rice from burning until it is nice and tender. 

2. Add all of your spices and the Ume Plum vinegar- I use it when a recipe needs more tang and saltiness. But if you don't have it you can substitute rice vinegar or just add a bit more salt. 

3. Get your chicken started. I baked mine in a glass pan with a little olive oil and light seasoning-whatever kind you like. It took about 35-45 minutes at 375 degrees. 

4. When your rice is nice and tender and almost all of the water is absorbed add in the spinach. Until it is thawed, if using frozen or until wilted, if using fresh. At the same time add in one can of rinsed black beans. Mix together and turn off the heat. 

5. When Your chicken is fully cooked cut it into bite sized pieces and mix it in with the rice. Serve in a bowl and if you feel like it needs something more add some sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for more tang and a creamier consistency. 



So there you have it! This recipe is very easy to change up and make your own and I encourage you to do so! What are some variations you have tried? And what is your favorite rice dish? I would love to hear from you!

As always, thanks for reading and until next time, 

Rachael 





No comments:

Post a Comment